The Student Work Placement Program (SWPP) connects employers with student talent. Funded by the Government of Canada, SWPP provides employers with wage subsidies of up to $7,500 to hire Canadian post-secondary students for paid work experiences. Students in turn benefit with quality work experience so they can secure employment in their chosen fields of study.
SWPP is administered through Magnet at Ryerson University, a digital platform with a mission to accelerate inclusive economic growth across Canada by advancing careers, businesses and communities.
Who is eligible to apply for SWPP?
- Registered Canadian businesses, not-for profits, hospitals, long-term care facilities, and post-secondary institutions (universities, colleges, and polytechnics)
- Please note that Federal, Provincial, Territorial and Municipal Governments and Red Seal trades do not qualify
What are my commitments as an employer?
- Pay the student for the role
- Provide a quality learning experience to the student
- Have the financial capacity to pay the student for the duration of the placement in full (the wage subsidy will be administered after receiving the final pay stub at the end of the placement)
- Submit pay stubs (as proof of payment to the student) at the end of the placement through the portal
- Submit an invoice at the end of the placement through the portal to get reimbursed (the wage subsidy)