FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Friday, December 11, 2020
Centre Wellington moved to Red-Control category
CENTRE WELLINGTON – Today the Province of Ontario announced that the Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health Region will move into the Red-Control category of the Provincial framework at 12:01 a.m. on Monday December 14, 2020.
“These are unfortunate measures, however we need to get COVID-19 under control across our entire public health region” said Mayor Kelly Linton. “I strongly urge all residents to follow these important public health rules. We must act responsibly to protect our community’s most vulnerable people and avoid overwhelming our healthcare system. Let’s get through this pandemic together.”
Provincial Red/Control measures include stricter gathering limits, impacts to sports and recreation, increased screening at businesses and more. Township facilities and recreation programming can remain open with new restrictions in addition to ones already in place. New restrictions for Township facilities and recreation as a result of moving into the Red (Control) Phase include:
- 10 people maximum for indoor programs such as ice pads and gymnasiums
- 25 people maximum for outdoor programs
All aquatic and fitness programs including the weight room, fitness classes and Pickleball will continue to operate next week all within the new limited participant’s protocol as set out by the Province for level red.
The Victoria Park Senior Centre will continue to operate next week however will close on Monday Dec 21 and remain closed while we are in Red-Control level. For our seniors who still wish to work out from the comfort of their own home – our virtual zoom sessions will continue to take place. They are available at www.connectcw.ca.
The Elora Tourism Information Centre will close as of Monday December 21, and remain closed while we are in Red-Control level.
Arenas will remain open for our local minor sports organizations who are able to still operate under the new level regulations. Any available ice will be available to rent by Centre Wellington residents only. Residents of Centre Wellington can contact the Recreation Department to reserve ice starting on Monday December 14. Ice bookings will start as of Wednesday December 16 at the Elora Community Centre. In Red Control level, ice use is reduced to 10 participants plus coaching staff and 1 parent spectator allowed per child under 18. No games or scrimmages, only skills and training are permitted. Participants must be 2 meters apart while on the ice and while in the facility.
The Township will continue to monitor the situation and make adjustments to services as needed. Any changes in operations will continue to be communicated and posted to the Townships website at www.centrewellington.ca/emergencyplanning and on our social media platforms, www.facebook.com/CentreWellington and Twitter www.twitter.com/CentrWellington.
View the Province of Ontario COVID-19 framework for more information.
- This Framework has been implemented across the Province in order to help avoid broader closures and allow for additional public health and workplace safety measures to be introduced or removed incrementally.
- It categorizes public health unit regions into five levels and outlines the types of public health and workplace safety measures for businesses and organizations for each level. These include targeted measures for specific businesses, institutions and other settings.
- Each public health unit will remain in its level for 28 days, unless indicators worsen at which point it may move to the next highest level.
- Adjustments to the category each public health unit is in under the Framework will be decided by the Provincial government using indicators to assess the previous two weeks of information, or sooner if there is a rapidly worsening trend and by looking at local context and conditions. Thresholds within a region may not all be met at the same time; decisions about moving to new measures are based on overall risk assessment by government with input from local medical officers of health.
Kendra Martin | Communications Coordinator
Township of Centre Wellington | 1 MacDonald Square, Elora, ON N0B 1S0
519.846.9691 x220 centrewellington.ca
Find us on Facebook and Twitter – join the conversation and engage with your community!
Facebook – www.facebook.com/centrewellington
Twitter - @CentrWellington
Connect with us at www.connectcw.ca